Tuesday 8 May 2012

Sweet Cake

The second of my Summer Mini projects uses the very very gorgeous Sweet Cake stamp set.  It's so retro and yummy. I have a feeling I'll be using this a lot, but for this project I wanted to try something new.

I had seen some examples online of a technique involving embossing with clear powder in several layers to give a cracked glass effect.  But this stamp reminded me of the vintage signs you see everywhere so I wondered if I could use the same technique to make it look like a vintage metal sign.


I inked up the stamp with the marker pens (it takes a little while to colour it in so you need to breathe on it to re-moisten just before stamping!). Then I aged the card using sponge daubers and marker pens round the edges - it is supposed to look like rusty metal! 


Next I dabbed Versamark ink all over it covered with clear embossing powder and heated to melt.  Once completely dry I repeated with another layer of embossing powder, and a third.  I could scratch and crack the surface a bit then.


I mounted the 'sign' onto very vanilla which I had scored on the diagonal using the new Simply Scored scoring tool.  It's hard to see how well it turned out from the pictures but I was very pleased with the results!!


Stamps: Sweet Cake
Cardstock: Very Vanilla, So Saffron
Inks/Markers: Wisteria Wonder, So Saffron, Regal Rose, Pink Pirouette, (for the edges: Crumb Cake, Cajun Craze)
Equipment: Clear Embossing Powder, Simply Scored
Others: Brads

No comments:

Post a Comment